This month marks 3 years since I took my first step towards a career in Internal Communications by attending a CIPR Inside Annual General Meeting.
I can still picture it now. Me, a frustrated health admin manager who’d only heard of IC a couple of months before, sat on my own in a room filled with passionate IC experts chatting away. I remember feeling clueless and nervous, but also incredibly inspired by what I was hearing.
I also remember the kindness and warmth of everyone in the room. Everyone I met that night – and there were many, thanks to you Jason McKenzie – was so friendly, encouraging and keen to help me on my new journey.
Fast forward 3 years and I’m pleased to say the IC community hasn’t changed. They’re still the friendliest, funniest and dedicated people I know.
Here’s 5 times the IC crowd proved it was indeed an Incredible Community:
1. The time a random conversation about my duck holiday photos turned into the birth of the #ICBookClub.
Did you know each #ICBookClub book is worth 10 CPD points? – find out more about the club
2. The (many) times you’ve given great advice and motivation for free (or near enough)!
Here’s some of my fave free/cheap resources and events:
- Alive with Ideas’ blog
- Gatehouse’s Journal of IC
- Comms Chat
- IC Words
- The Big Yak
- Friday Ketchup by H&H
3. The time I wanted to turn my online network into a real-life network and people actually came forward.
Thanks Faye R, Anderona, Leah B, Tina, Dania F, Kate J and Steve P for the laughs and the education!
4. The time you helped us all find new jobs (and each other)
Also worth checking out:
(A special thanks to my IC Angels who have helped connect me, and I’m sure many others, with new work opportunities. You know who you are!).
5. The time a Cosmopolitan writer wrote a unflattering article about IC strategists (remember #busybusyverybusy) and half the community sharpened their spears in defense while the other half had a jolly good laugh.
(Click on the tweet below and read the thread that follows – it’s quite amusing!)
There’s so many other great examples of why the IC community really rocks – just search #internalcomms on Twitter or LinkedIn to see for yourself.
All that’s left to say is a big THANK YOU to everyone I’ve met through the IC tribe. You’ve given me so much – hope you’ve found me useful too!